Natural Herbs for Rapid Weight Loss
We all want to lose tons of weight without having to exert much effort but is it possible? Indeed it is, but only if you are looking to lose a couple of pounds.
According to a new study reported in the peer-reviewed, the International Journal of Obesity (1) investigators suggested that decreasing your calorie intake by 500 calories per day or increasing your calorie expenditure by 500 calories per day (via exercise or physical activity) can help in losing at least 1 lb. per week. But in this day and age, can you wait for weeks or months to achieve your desired weight goal? Imagine if you have an important reunion to attend or what if your best friend is getting married in a few weeks.
Obviously, all such problems require immediate attention and a solution-oriented approach.
What are your options for rapid weight loss?
Rapid weight loss can be achieved via various means, but every solution comes with a price. For example:
- Severe Calorie Restriction: This is a hazardous approach that is definitely not practical for long-term weight loss. Calorie restriction helps in losing some amount of weight but in most cases, it is associated with a high risk of failure due to binge eating, purging, and the onset of signs of starvation (weakness, low energy, mood issues, etc.) that may force you to abort this method. In addition, starvation also decreases your basal metabolic rate and further leads to weight gain over time.
- Weight loss surgeries: Weight loss procedures such as liposuction or gut modification surgeries can also help in losing a substantial amount of weight in a short period of time but the effects are usually slow (so definitely not a preferred approach for ultra-rapid weight loss). In addition, surgeries are costly with a moderate degree of side effects over a long period of time.
- Strenuous exercise: Definitely an effective approach for rapid weight loss, but let’s admit it, how many of us can actually spend hours in the gym training to reduce weight? In fact, research indicates that most people fail at achieving desired weight loss with exercise alone.
So what else can you do to achieve rapid weight loss?
Herbal solutions for Rapid weight loss:
Natural herbs can be used to achieve and maintain optimal weight loss. Most herbs exert their action by:
- Increasing the basal rate of metabolism
- Promoting mobilization of fat and utilization of fat stores for energy generation
- Maintain high levels of energy
- Decrease your cravings and appetite
There are several herbal remedies that are statistically known to promote rapid weight loss with minimal effort; however, you can always improve the quality of results by combining other interventions such as diet modification and moderate physical activity.
More: Natural Solutions for Rapid Weight loss
Excellent Natural Herbs for Rapid Weight Loss
Here are some great herbs that can facilitate effective weight loss with minimal risk of side effects. However, it is imperative to keep in mind that all herbs are not suitable for every individual. Therefore, for best results, consult with your primary care provider to minimize the risk of adverse effects.
- Bitter Orange:
Bitter orange is used as a natural remedy for the long-term management of constipation, indigestion, and heartburn. Furthermore, it is also effective in reducing weight and hunger by inducing a feeling of fullness. According to a study reported in the International Journal of Medical Sciences (2), investigators reported the results of a study conducted on 360 obese/overweight individuals who consumed bitter oranges for weight loss. Over a period of 6 to 12 weeks, more than 50% of the study sample achieved the required weight loss without any side effects/ adverse effects.
You can use this herb with juices once a day to thrice weekly doses.
Certain herbs like capsaicin are known to naturally boost metabolism. This natural booster is found in chili peppers. When consumed in recommended doses, capsaicin can help in boosting metabolism and burn fatty tissues; thereby, reducing weight over long-term use.
Chia seeds have a lower calorie content and high nutritional value. When consumed in effective doses, chia seeds can help in maintaining a high rate of basal metabolism. According to a new study (3), the consumption of chia seeds is associated with a moderate increase in serum concentration of high-quality lipids. Chia seeds can be consumed as a snack or a supplementary agent with other supplements.
It is a naturally occurring carotenoid that is found in abundant doses in seaweeds. This diet supplement is known to increase brown fat levels in the body and is considered good fat. It also helps in increasing basal body metabolism.
Hoodia has a long history of use by natives of the Sahara desert and other areas of low food availability. Once consumed, this herbal agent helps in controlling thirst and hunger.
- Thomas, D. M., Martin, C. K., Lettieri, S., Bredlau, C., Kaiser, K., Church, T., … & Heymsfield, S. B. (2013). Can a weight loss of one pound a week be achieved with a 3500-kcal deficit? Commentary on a commonly accepted rule. International Journal of Obesity, 37(12), 1611-1613.
- Stohs, S. J., Preuss, H. G., & Shara, M. (2012). A review of the human clinical studies involving Citrus aurantium (bitter orange) extract and its primary protoalkaloid p-synephrine. International journal of medical sciences, 9(7), 527.
- Poudyal, H., Panchal, S. K., Waanders, J., Ward, L., & Brown, L. (2012). Lipid redistribution by α-linolenic acid-rich chia seed inhibits stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 and induces cardiac and hepatic protection in diet-induced obese rats. The Journal of nutritional biochemistry, 23(2), 153-162.
- Zhang, S., Ma, Y., Li, J., Ma, J., Yu, B., & Xie, X. (2014). Molecular matchmaking between the popular weight-loss herb Hoodia Gordonii and GPR119, a potential drug target for metabolic disorder. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(40), 14571-14576.